Many hiring managers have had little or no formal training in how to interview candidates effectively. As a consequence interviews may be unstructured, unprofessional and most seriously may lead to poor hiring decisions with all the resulting performance issues and potentially the expense of having to start again and hire a new candidate.
Competency Based Interviewing
Competency based interviewing is gaining increased traction as a primary candidate selection device.
A competency based interview is a series of questions, so constructed that function related competences are thoroughly investigated in order to assess how participants have approached specific situations in the past.
It is a proven interview technique that is based on the premise that the best predictor of future behaviour is an analysis of past behaviour.
It is designed to yield precise information on the applicant’s skills, competencies, and motives so that trained interviewers can find a “best fit” for any given position based on carefully defined success factors.
The benefits of the competency based interview.
- Accurate, consistent and reliable
- Efficient and cost effective
- It provides a positive applicant experience
- It is fully defensible from an equality and legal perspective
- There is a built in feedback system
- Decision making standardized and objective
- It rigorous and structured
- It reduced interviewer bias
- It has a predictive validity